Ignoring calls from unknown phone numbers is a fail-safe way to counter the unwanted solicitations and scams that many face every day. Answering them, on the other hand, lets callers know that there is a live person at your number, giving them a reason to keep calling or even sell your number to others, who will also call you.
Ohio Attorney General Dave Yost is cracking down on illegal robocalls with the creation of the Robocall Enforcement Unit, part of the Consumer Protection Section in his office. His office advises Ohioans to report suspicious robocalls to the unit by visiting OhioProtects.org or calling 1-800-282-0515.
To keep from falling victim to nefarious robocallers:
- Never interact with a suspicious call in any way.
- Avoid providing personal or financial information by phone.
- Register your phone number with the Do Not Call Registry online at DoNotCall.gov or by calling 1-888-382-1222.
- Research services offered by your phone provider to block unwanted calls.
- Install a trusted and reliable app on your cellphone to block or warn of suspicious calls.